Saturday, December 4, 2010

Elaine Chottiner

We are pleased to introduce one of our speakers, Elaine Chottiner. Here we provide a biography of Dr. Chottiner, in her own words:

"I grew up in McKeesport, a small steel town near Pittsburgh. Bullwinkle and Rocky got stuck in McKeesport several times. Fortunately, I didn't. I came of age in the late sixties and arrived at the University of Michigan in 1967. I graduated with a B.A. in Russian literature and went to California where I worked on a Ph.D. in Slavic Languages and Literature at Berkeley for two years. I spent three years working as an affirmative action analyst at the University of California, completed the pre-medical requirements and returned to Michigan in 1976 to attend medical school. I graduated in 1980, completed my internal medicine residency in 1983 and my fellowship in hematology and oncology in 1986. I remained at the University as junior faculty from 1986-1991 - teaching, seeing patients and doing basic laboratory research in molecular genetics. In 1991 I decided to focus upon patient care and joined a private practice at Saint Joseph Mercy Hospital where I have been a hematologist/oncologist for twenty years. I specialize in breast cancer and blood disorders. I have been a member of the Committees on Practice and Communication for the American Society of Hematology for 12 years. I'm leaving my practice at the end of the year to return to the University of Michigan as a hematologist. I've come full circle (or maybe that's not true -- I hope I don't end up back in McKeesport)."

Dr. Chottiner is the first of the many speakers that we are excited to introduce to you. Here, you will have access to the profiles of all of our speakers. This year, we have a range of fascinating and personable speakers that we hope you are excited to meet and learn from!

No comments:

Post a Comment